Hello Beautiful Responders! Raising Up Hope for Uganda (RUHU) began as one home with a reach into the slums. Today, it has over 10 programs.
Each program meets unique needs, is led by a Ugandan Program Lead, and has its own budget and reports. Throughout 2022 we will be highlighting several of these programs one at a time. We ask that you pray for that program, and, if you feel drawn to a particular program, consider supporting it with your ongoing prayers and finances. In this way, we hope you’ll become more familiar with what RUHU does, who does it, and how you can support their great work.
Program Name: Muwala Mulungi (translates as “beautiful girls” in Luganda
Program Lead: Lydia Mukhwana
Program Description: Muwala Mulungi, is a women’s empowerment program, which was created with the goal to empower current and former street girls in the Kampala slum areas of Kisenyi and Katwe. Most of the girls on the streets are between the ages of 15 and 26 years old. They came to the streets at an earlier age and have been living on the streets for a long time. Most of these young women have been exposed to the nature of the streets and have engaged in survival sex work, substance abuse, and commercial trade of drugs. They live on the streets with their children who also experience growing up in the same environment and culture.
The Muwala Mulungi program focuses on bringing forth financial autonomy in the lives of these young women by teaching them hands on entrepreneurial skills for self-reliance. In addition to this, the program provides counseling for behavioral and psychosocial transformation through the support of social workers, volunteers, and trainers from RUHU. By offering a variety of options, Muwala Mulungi empowers and enables young women to take control of their futures in a sustainable way.
- Sexual reproductive health and counseling.
- Medical care and treatment.
- Skills training in areas such as sewing/tailoring, cooking/baking/catering, hair dressing, etc.
- Rent, utilities, training equipment and materials.
- Business incubation support for those who successfully graduate from the program as a way to utilize the skills they have learned and establish a small business.
- Enrollment of 40 girls per month which provides training for 240 young women a year.
- The creation of income-generating projects that empower young women as entrepreneurs and act as revenue streams to the program thus creating employment and program sustainability.
Total Monthly Cost: $715
Current Monthly Support: $500
Recurring Monthly Donations Needed to Fully Fund the Program: $215
Please join us by becoming a monthly supporter of the Muwala Mulungi program. Donate today using the link below and make a real difference in the lives of these young women.